How-to Replace the ignition switch on a Vanagon:
I sell the ignition switch for the Vanagon here.
Here is how to remove and replace the switch.
- Unscrew the two retaining screws for the bottom steering column cover and remove it.
- Pop the cover off of the center of the steering wheel unplugging the two horn wires.
- Undo the nut that holds the steering wheel on (a large one- 24mm?).
- Mark the steering wheel in the center with a paint mark or score mark and remove it.Â You are marking it so you can put it back in the exact same orientation.Â The steering wheel can come off without a puller tool.Â Just give it a small pull with your hands and it will come right off.
- Reach around the column and unplug the plugs for the ignition switch and the wiper, blinker switch, etc.
- Insert your key into the ignition and turn it to “on” position.
- Undo the allen bolt that holds the ignition switch housing to the column.
- Undo the three slotted screws that hold the blinker/wiper arms to the assembly and remove the arm assembly.
- There is a plastic spacer on the center steering shaft.Â Pry that up towards you with a flat head screw driver until you can remove it (just pulls off but it can be a little tight).
- Pull the ignition switch housing off of the steering column.
- Ignition switch will become accessible now with a small Philips head screw driver from the rear.
- Reinstallation is reverse of removal ?
If anyone has anything to add please email me.