If you want to replace all the rubber fuel lines and seals on the tank we sell kits that will help you out.
Please look in the passenger side wheel well to be sure which filler neck you have before ordering if you have an 84 model.
Here is the procedure:
I usually install the rubber hoses on the cross over tube with the plastic lines that go to the expansion tanks to make it as long as possible.
Install the cross over tube above the tank on the frame of the van. There is a hook up there that it should hang on.
17. Then you install the rubber hoses with the plastic lines on the top of the tank to the two side metal pipes on the tank. Pull them a little away from the sides and tape them lightly to the top of the tank. That way they aren't pinched when you install the tank.
18. I use a floor jack, support the tank in the center, tip the front edge up above the lip.
19. Jack the tank up until you can plug in the level sensor.
20. Once that is completed, continue jacking until the tank is in position being careful that the hoses on the top don't get pinched. Once the tank is up, install the straps at the rear edge first. Then line up the straps on the front edge with a screwdriver or alignment tool and install the bolts.
21.Now you can reach into the wheel wells and pull the lines that were taped to the top of the tank and pull them up to install on the expansion tanks. You should also be able to reach through the wheel wells and push down on the tees until they pop into place in the top of the tank grommet. Be sure you are installing the one on the passenger side into the correct hole as there are two of them. You want to install that one into the hole that is closest to the center.
22. Now install the grommet for the gas tank filler neck (lubricate the seal with vasoline and also clean the filler neck and lube that where it slides into the fill neck grommet with vasoline as well).
23. Push the filler neck into place and line it up. You will have to push it past where it is supposed to go and then pull it back a little to line it up. Now you can install the vent tube that goes with the filler neck into the top of the tank grommet as well. It should just pop right in if you have lubricated things.
24. Finish installing the rubber lines to the expansion tanks in the wheel wells.
25. Now you are ready to hook the tank up to the fuel pump and the return line. That should be it.
Print this out, and stick it in your Bentley.
If you appreciate the help we have given you here please support Van-Again with your parts purchases. Thank You!
Want to join the discussion? Feel free to contribute!