If you want to replace all the rubber fuel lines and seals on the tank we sell kits that will help you out.
Please look in the passenger side wheel well to be sure which filler neck you have before ordering if you have an 84 model.
Here is the procedure:
- Unhook supply and return lines (one either side of tank) and drain fuel or siphon fuel out of filler hole (quicker).
- Undo the two bolts (13mm) that hold the metal straps to the front frame of the van.
- Remove straps by pulling the tab in the rear of the strap out of the slot
it rests in.
- Rear of tank will drop down.
- Remove two lines from the side of the tank that go to the expansion tanks above front wheels.
- Now pop loose the other plastic expansion lines from the top of the tank.
- Pop the small line that hooks to the filler neck (overflow line) out of the tank.
- Unscrew the three screws that fasten the filler neck into the body and push it into the tank farther so you can move it over to the wheel well.
- Pull out the filler neck.
- Tank should drop straight down.
- Unplug sender.
Reinstallation is reverse of removal except I would undo the one nut that holds the expansion tanks in the wheel well on both sides so you have more line to play with. Also when reinstalling the expansion tank lines remove the rubber grommet that seals them to the tank and pop this into the tank first while you have the tank out, then pop the lines into the tank.
A lot easier than trying to pop these lines back on with the grommet still on the lines (tried this for about 20 mins and gave up!)
You can use some Vaseline for lubrication if necessary.
Also on reinstall tilt the tank so that you can get the front of it under the lip in the front beam and then just push it up so it is level and then you can slide the end of the straps back into the slots without a problem.
Print this out, and stick it in your Bentley.
If you appreciate the help we have given you here please support Van-Again with your parts purchases. Thank You!